After months of preparation and grueling deliberations, the Philippine Council for Industry and Energy Research and Development (PCIERD) finally identified 29 qualifiers out of 91 entries from the National Capital Region (NCR), Luzon and the Visayas-Mindanao (Vis-Min) for the 8th PCIERD Regional S&T Fora and Competitions. NCR had the most number of entries at 32, Luzon had 28, and Vis-Min had 31. Among the sectors, the academe sent the most number of entries.
The qualifying entries will be presented during the scheduled competition for NCR, Luzon and Vis-Min on February 24, 25, 26 respectively. Winning entries in the regional level will vie in the national level on March 16, 2010. Winners will be announced on the 28th anniversary celebrations of PCIERD on March 17, 2010 at the Hyatt Hotel in Malate, Manila.
Below is the list of qualified entries:
1. Ms. Soledad S. Castañeda, Philippine Nuclear Research Institute (PNRI-DOST) - Tritium Activity and Geochemistry for Tracing Water Contamination from Municipal Solid Waste Disposal Facilities
2. Mr. Bilomar N. Floresca, Technological University of the Philippines (TUP) - Development of an Enhanced Billy-Aire Refrigerant Recovery Unit for R134a (BARRU)
3. Dr. Susan M. Gallardo, Asian Regional Research Programme on Environmental Technology (ARRPET) - Development of Windrow Composting as an Alternative Sludge Management for a Recycled Paper Mill in the Phils.
4. Dr. Edanjarlo J. Marquez, University of the Philippines- Department of Physical Sciences and Mathematics - Accelerated Sea Level Rise Scenario of Buruanga Peninsula, Northwest Panay
5. Dr. Antonio F. Mateo, AMECOS Innovations, Inc. - Innovative Rainwater Harvesting System: Process of Converting Rainwater into Clean, Potable, Drinking Water
6. Mr. Shalom Brian R. Mercader, University of the Philippines – College of Engineering - The Design and Evaluation of an Ozone Contractor-Reactor for Color and Organic Matter Removal in Distillery Wastewater
7. Dr. Benjamin T. Molano, Food and Nutrition Research Institute (FNRI-DOST) - Development, Pilot Plant Production, Technology Transfer and Commercialization of Low Fat, Low Sugar Ice Cream
8. Ms. Maria Gracia Peralta, Metals Industry Research and Development Center (MIRDC-DOST) - Non-Cyanide Electroplating Technology
9. Ms. Teresita R. Portugal, FNRI-DOST - Development of Food Reference Materials for Laboratory Analytical Quality Assurance (AQA)
10. Dr. Rosalinda C. Torres, Industrial Technology Development Institute (ITDI-DOST) - Calamansi Wastes for the Production of USP Grade Pectin and other Health-Care Products (Bench-Scale)
1. Dr. Menandro N. Acda, UP-Los Banos, College of Forestry and Natural Resources - Sustainable Use of Waste Chicken Feather for Durable and Low Cost Building Materials in the Philippines
2. Ms. Virgie A. Alcantara, National Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (BIOTECH) - Characterization of Biosurfactant from Saccharomyces cerevisiae 2031and Evaluation of Emulsification Activity for Potential Application in Bioremediation
3. Ms. Marina A. Alipon, Forest Products Research and Development Institute (FPRDI-DOST) - Development and Commercialization of Locally Designed Digital Wood Moisture Meter
4. Engr. Belen B. Bisana, FPRDI-DOST - Bamboo Veener Lathe Technology Innovation for Commercialization
5. Engr. Bartolome C. Fajardo, Nueva Ecija University of Science and Technology (NEUST) - Portable Multi-Purpose Stove
6. Ms. Prima Fe R. Franco, Mariano Marcos State University (MMSU - First and Second Generation Bioethanol Production from Sweet Sorghum Using Locally Isolated Microorganisms
7. Dr. Ruel M. Mojica, Cavite State University (CavSU) - Development, Optimization and Socio-Economic Evaluation of Micro-Controlled Coffee Roasting Machine
8. Engr. Fernando O. Paras Jr., UP-LB - Development of the "Solar Balut Maker"
Ms. Rowena Remojo Sazon - Enhanced Ex-Situ Bioremediation of Soils Contaminated with Petroleum Hydrocarbons Dr. Jessica F. Simbahan - Cloning, Expression and Characterization of a Thermophilic Lipase from Geobacillus Sp.,M5
9. Ms. Rowena Remojo Sazon, Ramon Magsaysay Technological University (RMTU) - Enhanced Ex-Situ Bioremediation of Soils Contaminated with Petroleum Hydrocarbons
10. Dr. Jessica F. Simbahan, BIOTECH - Cloning, Expression and Characterization of a Thermophilic Lipase from Geobacillus Sp.,M5
1. Mr. Emmanuel L. Alkuino Sr., Sidlak Pinoy, Inc. - Manufacture of Firebricks Using Alluvial Silt in Combination with Either Fly Ash or Bottom Ash or Lahar
2. Dr. Nathaniel M. Anacleto, Mindanao State University – Iligan Institute of Technology (MSU-IIT) - Solid State Reduction of Manganese Ores to Produce Manganese Carbide by Methane Containing Gas
3. Ms. Maria Linda B. Arquiza, University of Mindanao – Research and Publication Center (UM-RPC) - Prototype of an Alternative Telemetric System for Davao River
4. Engr. Alexis T. Belonio, Central Philippine University (CPU) – Center for Rice Husk Energy Technology - Continuous-Flow Rice Husk Gasifier for Thermal Applications
5. Mr. Ronnie L. Besagas, Mindanao University of Science and Technology (MUST) - Hazardous Waste Chemicals from Dichromate Chemical Oxygen Demand Analysis: Toxicity Reduction, Recovery, Recycling and Testing
6. Prof. Alfredo M. Eliza Jr., Carlos Hilado Memorial State College (HMSC) - Fuel Saver and Anti-Pollution Device
7. Dr. Consorcio S. Namoco Jr., , Mindanao University of Science and Technology (MUST) - Improving the Strength and Formability of Sheet Metals by Embossing and Restoration Technique
8. Dr. Leilanie O. Suerte, Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) - Magmatism and Hydrothermal System at the Kingking Porphyry Copper Deposit: An Insight into the Mineralization of the Copper-Gold Belt in Southeastern Mindanao
9. Dr. Mary Eden M. Teruel, Aklan State University (ASU) - Diesel Additive from Waste Fats and Oils
The competitions, conducted every two years, is the Council’s way of recognizing excellent researches that could make a difference in the sectors of PCIERD, namely: chemicals/processing, food, metals and engineering, mining and minerals, textile, energy, transportation, environment, and disaster management.