The Department of Science and Technology-Philippine Science High School (DOST-PSHS) System is still accepting applications until September 2 (Friday) for the National Competitive Examination (NCE) from incoming Grade 7 students with an eye and heart for science seeking entry for school year 2017-2018.
Grade 6 pupils from duly recognized schools by the Department of Education who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for the PSHS NCE:
- A final grade of 85% or better in Science and Mathematics, evidenced by the student's report card. If students’ grades in Science or Math are below 85%, then they must provide evidence that they belongs to the upper 10% of the class;
- Filipino citizen with no pending or approved application as immigrant to any foreign country;
- Born on or after August 1, 2002;
- Have at least a satisfactory rating (or its equivalent) in their Character Rating indicated in report card (SY 2015 - 2016);
- Not have taken the PSHS NCE previously; and
- Preferably, be in good health and fit to undergo a rigorous academic program.
On the other hand, the requirements for application include:
- Fully accomplished application form in two copies
- Two recent identical 1x1 ID pictures
- Non-refundable test fee (P100 for private schools, free for public schools)
- Certified true copy of report card (SY 2015 - 2016) by the class adviser/principal
- If the final grades Science or Math are below 85%, certification or proof that the child belongs to the upper 10% of the class
According to PSHS, also known as “Pisay”, the NCE is a scholastic aptitude test or designed to measure scientific ability, quantitative ability, abstract reasoning, and verbal aptitude. Examination will be on October 22, 2016.
Through the application process, PSHS also reminds everyone that the application form and accompanying materials are not for sale, may be photocopied, and may be downloaded. Further, there is no required reservation fee for the exam.
Application forms can be downloaded for free at PSHS website and are also available and may be filed at any PSHS campuses, DOST Regional offices, or Provincial Science and Technology Offices. Application forms with incomplete information will not be processed. Erasures, alterations, and insertions must be initialed by the applicant.
Examination permits will be issued to the applicants upon completion of all documents by the campus where the application was processed. For applications filed with DOST offices, the exam permits will be mailed to the applicant, and/or to the school principal for distribution to its applicants.
In case the exam permits are not received two weeks before the examination day, the applicants should check with the nearest PSHS campus, DOST Regional Office, DOST Provincial Science and Technology Office, or the PSHS System Admissions Office.
Moreover, downloadable copy of NCE Application Process and Requirements and sample tests are also available for free at the PSHS website.
PSHS also offers scholarship privileges such as free tuition fee, free loan of textbooks, monthly stipend, and uniform, transportation and living allowances for low income groups.
The PSHS, with 14 satellite campuses nationwide, is the country’s premiere science high school which provides scholarships to students with high aptitude in science and mathematics. PSHS prepares its students for careers in science and technology based on a curriculum that emphasizes science and mathematics and the development of well-rounded individuals.